How to Be Happy and Healthy the Holistic Way
Written by: Jennifer McGregor
When it comes to head-to-toe health strategies, holistic is the way to go. With a focus on the health of the whole mind and body, the holistic lifestyle is a great way to be in tune with yourself, those around you, and this beautiful planet Earth. Start small if you need to, but make a commitment to being more methodical in living a healthier lifestyle. This includes caring for your mental, emotional, and physical health.
Improve Your Eating Routine
A little bit of advanced planning can help ensure you’re enjoying a healthy eating regime.
- Shop farmer’s markets and local health food stores – find them through the National Farmers Market Directory.
- Focus on whole foods including grains, lean meats, and fresh fruits and veggies.
- Meal prep so you always have nutritious meals at the ready.
- Take your breakfast and lunch to work and avoid fast foods on the go.
Build physical activity into each day until it becomes part of your normal routine.
- Get a minimum of 15 minutes of exercise a day. A fitness tracker can help you monitor activity.
- Employ an accountability buddy to encourage you to keep at your exercise routine.
- Join a gym or enroll in an exercise class.
- Make fitness fun – join a sports league or hiking club so you enjoy the activity.
Stress can have a negative impact on your well-being. Look for ways to regularly decompress.
- Learn yoga or tai chi. You can find videos online.
- Schedule a massage. Massage is rejuvenating and a great way to heal.
- Practice meditation and relaxation breathing techniques.
- Learn to say “no.” It’s a complete sentence.
- Don’t over-schedule yourself.
- If you’re working from home, only work during designated hours.
Reinvent Your Life
Sometimes living your best life means making big changes.
- Change up your career by going back to school and learning something you’re passionate about.
- Launch a new hobby you’ve always wanted to explore.
- Volunteer in your community as a way to help others.
- Start a gratitude journal to help you focus on the positive things in life.
Embarking on an overall health and wellness journey requires a commitment of time and energy. Get the buy-in and support of family and friends to help you move forward on this important path to self-improvement.